Welcome. I’m a retired engineering librarian whose current passion is writing fiction and science-fiction. I live in beautiful Humboldt County in northern California behind the Redwood Curtain. The area has the tallest trees in the world and some of the most stunning scenery imaginable.
In addition to writing, I was a co-teacher of a basic beekeeping course and maintain web pages for non-profit organizations.
I’ve been writing since I was about ten. In my professional life, I was required to write for scholarly journals in order to get tenure. The texts are dry and dated. Don’t bother looking for them. Only since retirement have I been able to pursue writing fiction full time.
My story “Planetary Scouts” won a third place in the 2013 Writers of the Future contest. Being chosen as one of the top three stories from a field that is estimated at a thousand or more international entries is a singular honor. My thanks to the judges. Writers of the Future Vol. XXIX is available in print and ebook at Barnes & Noble and Amazon and ebook only on Kobo.
A number of my short stories are available online.
- Short Stories
- “Transition 12” about a pair of alien spies appears in the Fall 2017 issue of Mythic magazine.
- “Fog” was awarded best fiction in the 2016 edition of the Toyon and will appear in Quickfic Anthology 5.
- “Colony One”, my take on a Martian colony, appears in the anthology Fifty Flashes.
- In September of 2013 “Dinner Date” a humorous piece about a guy making dinner for a date for the first time was published on Everydayfiction.com.
- “Cloudy” is available in Noyo River Review
- “Escort” is in the anthology Sex Droids and Their Cyborg Toys.
- “The Travel Writer” a humorous tale of Earth’s greatest galactic travel writer is read on the podcast The Centropic Oracle.
- “Orbital Decay” about an accident on a space station is on the Manawaker podcast.
- Flash Fiction
- The post-apocalyptic tale of a camp for children “Refugee” appears in Paper Butterfly Flash.
- “Friends” about a boy and his pet appears in the anthology 100 Worlds and in Quickfic Anthology 1.
- “Aftermath”, a tale of England after The War of the Worlds appeared on The Were-Traveler.
A few of my works have been published locally as part of the Nort Coast Journal “99 Word Story Contest.”
- In 2012, search for “Harry” and Revelations.
- In 2013 search for “Lois,” a sequel to Harry
- In2014, search for “Encounter.”
- In 2015 search for and “Visitation” and “Orbit,” both of which were also in the Mensa Bulletin.
- The poem “American Moloch” also appeared in the North Coast Journal.
I wrote one of the chapters in the book Writing After Retirement an anthology of tips and tricks for older writers. My chapter covers both voice in writing and the setup of your writing area. It’s available on Amazon Kindle and trade paperback, Barnes and Noble in both electronic and paper form, and Kobo in both formats.
And finally, my novel with an alternate view of the Rapture and Tribulation, The Remnant is now available on Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Kobo. Unlike The Leftovers, The Remnant retains the timeline and the standard characters of the rapture and tribulation, and unlike the Left Behind series, The Remnant presents realistic, non-stereotyped characters in those situations.